As you can see from Eric’s post we’ve decided as a company to return to Drift as our main project. But I’m still interested in working on Summit as a platformer, and will continue working on it as a Send More People side project. Perhaps it’ll turn into a full game, perhaps it’ll just help me to continue fleshing out my C# skills, but for the moment it has value in being incredibly fun to work on and make strides in.
As you can see above, I’ve created a character controller and have gotten him to climb around a course. Today’s achievement was getting an animations array working, so that the animation automatically updates depending on the player status. Now comes the hard part – drawing the actual animation key frames. I’ll be spending a lot of time thinking of Eedward Muybridge in the days to come.
Oh, and I got a little hand-drawn animation working here as well. It’s hard to tell which is jankier… my hand-drawn animation or my 3d.
So we’ve gotten a lot done on Summit, in the past few days.
I’m delighted that Eric made the discovery of the Unity asset, E2D. Our use of Uni2D to generate terrain was meeting with some snags – namely, that the editor crawled any time we tried to drag an object with the Uni2D script attached. For the quick generation of player terrain, E2D is much simpler. You just drag and drop nodes, and voila – a new piece of terrain in seconds. I learned how to use the software and generated the environment above in about 2 hours of work – the bare bones of a level, which I can now fill in with environmental details.
We also have a new model for our dude guy. At first glance he doesn’t look much better – where are his clothes? – but if you look under that pasty pale skin you might see a humanoid Mecanim rig as opposed to the one that Eric valiantly set up way back when. The benefit of this rig is that there are premade animations for it, which we hope to take in, learn from and perhaps modify to work on a 2D plane. Incidentally I recommend that Unity 3d users look into Space Robot Kyle – he comes with a great animation tutorial.
Eric has proposed that we employ something called Agile development, which is apparently all the rage (my mother, working at a software company, works using Agile). Essentially our system is to set 2-week “sprints” and break up our goals into achievable blocks. I’m down. Thinking about what I can accomplish in two weeks helps keep ambition in check. If I learned anything from my solo Ludum Dare 25 experience is that you need to keep your goals – short term at least – as simple as possible. Get too ambitious, and your interest starts flagging as you toil without any discernable success.
We’re also switching up the control scheme. More on that later.
Honestly, folks, I’ve felt very motivated about the project in the past few days. A gleam of the final result is starting to peer through.